The ADA Foundation works to improve the public's oral health through a variety of grants, scholarships, and awards that support oral health education programs. Please see the below program descriptions and guidelines for complete information, and check this website for updates.
Purpose: The ADA Foundation Dr. David Whiston Leadership Program annually provides two $5,000 awards - the Dr. David Whiston Leadership Award and the Henry Schein Cares Dr. David Whiston Leadership Award - to deserving individuals who have demonstrated leadership skills in efforts aimed at improving the oral health of the public. The award funds are designed to cover the costs associated with attending a leadership development program offered by the American Management Association, or a leadership program approved by the ADA Foundation.
Application Period: The 2020 application period has not yet been determined. Please visit this website in October, 2019 for more information.
Eligibility Requirements: The minimum qualifications for this award include:
- Applicant must have earned or be in the process of earning a D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree from a dental school accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation;
- Applicant must be either a dental student, graduate student, or resident enrolled in an accredited dental school education program, or an early-career dentist under the age of 40 or in his/her first five years of professional work following residency;
- Applicant must have held a position within dentistry in which he/she has demonstrated leadership skills, such as, but not limited to:
- The ability to create a vision;
- Effective communications skills sufficient to motivate others to achieve that vision;
- The ability to establish a strong team concept;
- A focus on utilizing those traits for the greater good; and
- Participation in activities which advance the oral health of the public and/or the underserved.
Dollar Amount and Number of Awards: Two awards of $5,000 annually, one of which is provided through a generous donation from Henry Schein Cares.
See the announcement of the ADA Foundation Dental Student Scholarship recipients on the ADAF Facebook page!
Purpose: The ADA Foundation Dental Student Scholarship Program is designed to recognize dental students who are strong academically and who demonstrate outstanding promise in leadership, public service/volunteerism, and/or research. The scholarships are available to all eligible dental students (must be a U.S. citizen) enrolled in accredited U.S. dental schools.
Application Period: The application period will open in January, 2020. Dates may be subject to change. Visit this website in late 2019 for updated information.
Eligibility Requirements: In order to be eligible for consideration for these scholarships, an applicant must:
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- At the time of application, be enrolled full time in the second year of study in a U.S. CODA-accredited dental school;
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.4 based on a 4.0 scale (Pass (P) or Satisfactory (S) academics are equivalent); and
- Demonstrate financial need.
Dollar Amount: The ADA Foundation will award scholarships of up to $20,000 each.
The ADA Foundation’s Give Kids A Smile program helps educate tens of thousands of children and their families on the importance of good oral health to overall health. Visit the Give Kids A Smile page.